March 10, 2020: The content below helps navigate the features in this release. A full list of updates is available in the Reference Manual's Appendix.
Remcom's newly implemented naming structure for XF's package options, effective January 1, 2020, appears in pricing quotes and invoices but does not affect the software's functionality.
- The Pro package is now referred to as the Standard package.
- The Bio-Pro package is now referred to as the Pro package.
- An HPC token was created to replace GPU tokens. One HPC token contains one GPU token and one MPI token. Users with XF 7.8 GPU tokens will receive an upgraded XF 7.9 license containing an equal number of HPC tokens.
- A MIMO module was created to replace Circuit Element Optimizer (CEO) tokens. One MIMO module contains one CEO token and one additional token that enables superposition simulation and array optimization features. Users with XF 7.8 CEO tokens will receive an upgraded XF 7.9 license containing an equal number of MIMO modules.
This release introduces superposition simulations and array optimization for post processing steady-state results. These features allow users to apply the electromagnetic principle of superposition in order to combine steady-state results from a single FDTD simulation.
Remcom's support site provides additional information on several pages:
- User interface documentation that explains the controls used when creating superposition simulations.
- User interface documentation that explains the controls used when creating an array optimization.
- A knowledge article that details the common use cases for superposition simulation and array optimization as they pertain to antenna design.
- A knowlege article that defines and interprets the CDF of EIRP and max hold results.
- An XF script that performs bulk-processing on an antenna array's codebook containing tens or hundreds of beam states.
XF's algorithm for evaluating spatial-averaged power density on a planar surface is consistent with the CDV of IEC/IEEE 63195-2: Assessment of Power Density of Human Exposure to Radio Freqeuncy Fields From Wireless Devices in Close Proximity to the Head and Body, Part 2: Computation Procedure (Frequency Range of 6 GHz to 300 GHz). While this standard remains in the development phase, users can use a script for evaluating power density on a planar evaluation surface.
This release expands the object encryption capability of XF 7.8.0 to include geometry assemblies, sub-assemblies, parts, and circuit components. Encrypted geometry cannot be viewed in the parts list, used in modeling operations, viewed in the mesh, used for sensors, or exported to a CAD file. This allows partners and suppliers to share CAD models for use in simulations without revealing sensitive design details.
Bundles added to XF's library allow users to group geometry, circuit components, and sensors as one bundle that is accessible across projects. A bundle that is added to a project from a library maintains the relative positions and associations of its various items.
There are several usability, performance, scripting, and other updates in this version.
Here is a select list of modifications:
- Labeled distributed circuit components in the simulation summary.
- Added Suppress Grid Properties option to the Gridding Properties Editor at the parts level.
- Completed status is visible when running a simulation with EQI.
- A plot of the standalone radiation efficiency uses the project properties Efficiency setting. (MS, this should be better)
- Improved on-screen display messages for the Project Sheet modeling editor.
- Resolved crashing caused by lofting two parts within an assembly.
- Improved the refreshing of sub assemblies in the Parts List.
- Added the missing raw SAR value when running on MPI.
- Improved the RDQS lock message.
- Resolved issue with dragging and dropping a netlist definition on a feed definition.
- Resolved issue with importing arcs from a .dxf file.
- [Scripting API] Added setNumberOfAbsorbingLayers to allow setting the number of PML layers for a waveguide interface. (LV, we'll want to update your script)
- [Scripting API] Added Grid.includeUnmeshedObjects, Grid.includeCircuitComponents, and Grid.includeWaveguides properties to improve gridding extents options.
- [Scripting API] Fixed Linux xflauncher script for use in bash 5.0.
- [Scripting API] Resolved crashing caused by accessing MeshParameters through scripting API.